Have you ever heard of the Italian card game ‘Biribi’? It may surprise you to learn that the popular French game of Roulette or ‘Little Wheel’ actually has its origins in this popular Italian card game.
Roulette is an ever popular game of chance, thrilling and exciting with every chance of winning. In Roulette, as you may know, players spin a wheel with slots spaced around the edge. Slots are coloured black and red along with being numbered either low (1-18) or high (19-36). Whilst the exact number of slots varies depending on the exact wheel and version of the game you are playing; you can be sure to have fun playing this game. Quite often, traditional French Roulette wheels have 37 slots, whilst American versions may have 38.
In Roulette, a casino member of staff known as a Croupier begins the game by spinning the Roulette wheel in one direction. Once the spinning wheel has gained speed and momentum, a white ball is released by the Croupier into the wheel. The ball is spun in the opposite direction to the wheel. After bouncing and spinning around the wheel, the white ball will eventually settle into one of the numbered and coloured slots around the edge.
Basics of Roulette
Starting with the basics of roulette, let’s discuss its components first.
- Components of Roulette
First, the main credential of roulette based on which the entire runs is the ‘French Little Wheel’. This wheel consists of thirty-six numbers along with an additional 0 digits. This 0 is written as 00 in some casinos. Second, the small spinning ball decides the result of the winner. A croupier spins the ball on the wheel and where this ball stops will decide the winner.
Last but not the least, bets are placed on the wheel table in front of different digits. Next, there are nine different options presents on the wheel table that are 1st 12, 2nd 12, even, odd, black, red, 1-18, and 19-36. All these components are linked to each other in one way or the other. Thus, the combination of these credentials makes a roulette.
- Choosing the Bet
However, two types of bets are present in the roulette. But, the ‘inside’ bets have a more significant role in winning roulette. Because they are higher paying than the others. How? Let us describe this to you in an easy way.
- Bet “Straight up” on 1 number that pays 35-1. For this purpose, place the roulette chip directly over the decided number.
- Bet ‘split’ on 2 numbers that pay 17-1. Place the roulette chip on the edges between the two numbers. It will split our bet.
- Bet ‘street’ on 3 numbers that pays 11-1. In addition, it is called a bet line. To decide this, place your chips on three numbers adjacent to each other in a vertical column.
- At a time, you can only bet three times with one chip.
- Bet ‘corner’ on 4 numbers that pay 8-1. For this bet, place our chip on the corner of the edge of the four adjacent numbers.
- Bet ‘six-line on 6 numbers that pay 5-1. It is also named Double Street which means that you can place your chip on the corner of two vertical lines showing three different numbers.
- 5th number bet is for 0 and 00. These numbers are available for specific variations.
On the other hand, the ‘outsider’ bet is a specific number that is unable to adjust in the street. So, they are placed outside the street and are called outsider bet numbers.
- Red/ black color pays 1. You will win if the chosen color comes at the winning position.
- High/ low bet pays 1 where the lower bet starts from 1-18. However, the higher bet starts from 19-36.
- Even/ odd bet pays 1. For this sake, you can choose a number except zero.
- Column bet pays 2-1 where one column consists of three numbers and there is a total of 12 columns present in one roulette table.
- Dozen bet pays 2-1. In dozens, you will choose squares of columns. There are three dozen with 12 numbers in each dozen.
- Finding the Odds
Assuming two types of tables, either American or French; the maximum of the bets fall upon the odds. It would be eligible if only 36 numbers are present on the roulette table. But, the presence of 0 and 00 changes the whole scenario. Right now, multiple theories have been presented for the improvement of the odds.
- As far as the American table is concerned, 0 shows the 2.7% profit to the casino. While 00 shows the 5.26% profit to the casino. In both cases, there is some advantage a casino always receives from the odds.
- In the contrast, French table shows “La Partage” and “En Prison” rules. In the En Prison rule, if the person loses half of their money, he can collect half of the money on the table. However, half of the money will be left on the table for another spin by the La Partage rule.
How to Play Roulette
Undoubtedly, roulette is an easy game to play as long as you understand the step-by-step procedure of proceeding at it. It is advisable to always start with the smallest bet to learn and earn more. Regardless, the steps that follow are listed below for your understanding:
- Search For a Table
At the start, choose the table according to the money you have. Every roulette table carries a placard that describes the maximum and minimum bets on that roulette table. For example, Roulette. £5 minimum inside bets, £5 minimum outside bets. £100 maximum inside, and £1,000 maximum outside.
Additionally, there is always a board placed on the roulette table that shows the number where the spinning ball falls upon last time. But, do not get fascinated by this board because the chances of number repetition remain the same throughout the game. The reason behind this is that the spinning ball and the wheel remain the same in every game.
- Acquire Our Roulette Chip
Secondly, put your money on the table between the spins and receive the required colored chip. The dealer will give you the colored chips according to your paid money. As man dollars you will pay, you will get as many colored chips. If your money is in a huge amount, then you can also purchase bucks from the dealer.
Eventually, the main purpose of the roulette chip is to identify the people who bet on the roulette table. Each player is given a different colored chip to identify their unique identity. Just in case, remember one thing that does not leave the table. The reason behind this is that the roulette chip is valid only on the table you have to buy it.
- Decide Our Bet
Once you have bought the roulette chip, you are free to decide and place your bet. To place your bet, put your chip on the number you want to bet on. However, if you want to bet on a column, the bet will be different. For this purpose, put your chips on the three numbers of a column, you have decided to bet on.
Furthermore, the croupier will drop down the spinning ball on the table and spin the wheel. You can put down our chips as long as the wheel is rotating. Even, you can replace the chips you have already put on the roulette table. Once, the croupier says ‘No More Bets’, you are not allowed to put down or replace the chips or the bet. Now, it’s time to check your luck.
Apart from this, the croupier is not allowed to place the chip for you. But, the dealer can do so for you. For example, if you are standing far away from the number you want to bet on, you can ask the dealer to place the chip on the number you want to choose for the best.
- Decision-Making Moment
At this time, you are not allowed to touch the chip, wheel, or roulette table. Instead, the dealer will place the ornamental dolly on the winning number. Then, he will collect all chips and no one else will be touching the wheel or the chip. Afterward, the croupier will collect all the bets and hand them over to the winner.
At that moment, the dealer is completely unaware of the winner or the loser. Even, he does not know who bet? And how much does someone bet? It is for the sake of unbiased decisions made and no blame will be on the casino members.
- Leaving the Table
Before leaving the table, do the last but important task. Exchange your chips with the money from the dealer. Because there is no use of these roulette chips outside the casino. For this purpose, move towards the dealer, ask him for cash chips. He will return your money according to the chips you will hand over to him.
Roulette Facts, Tips and Strategies
Once you are familiar with the bets and how to use them. The next step is to learn a few great tips and tricks of the game that you may apply to your bet to win the show. For this, we have made sure to put together some of the best tips and tricks that have been verified by well-experienced players. They are bound to enable you to ace at the game with ease.
- The first and foremost fact is that a whole game plan or strategy can change the winning decision. So, plan properly and wisely. But, remember that the strategy has nothing with our luck. You will get what’s written in our fate.
- Some numbers are called ‘hot numbers. These numbers are named so because most of the winning positions lie on these numbers. It is a good option to choose any of these numbers.
- The house edge of American roulette is 5.2% that is quite more than the expected value. This is the reason behind the less publicity of American roulette. Contrarily, the European roulette takes only 2.7% house edge. So, people prefer to play European roulette as compared to American roulette.
- According to the statistics, it is better to play on outside numbers as they are less volatile. However, the inside numbers are more volatile. Also, there are more chances of loss in inside numbers than the outside numbers. No doubt, the outside numbers pay less; but, the payoff is good. But, in the case of inside numbers, the payoff is less than you expect.
- It is always a better option to do a conversation with your dealer. No matter how much you know about roulette; the dealer will always be a step ahead of you. So, it will be advantageous for you to discuss with the dealer before starting the roulette.
- Decide the bets according to our budget. If you are running out of money or minimum money, go for bets with fewer numbers. On the other hand, if you have a huge amount of money, go for a table with a bigger bet. Hopefully, the payoff will be according to your wishes.
- Some gamesters there will suggest you to go with your gut feelings. However, Roulette experts always advise to make a proper playing plan before starting the roulette game. The rest will be decided on the roulette table. So, do not hear anything from anyone. Do what you think is right at the moment.